Skip to content

Oakland’s Brewers Wall of Honor

December 19, 2013

I just liked a nonsensical title like that but today the Milwaukee Brewers announced that they are creating a Brewers Wall of Honor which is meant to recognize players who made contributions to the Brewers by being mainstays not necessarily the prime attraction. As a baseball guy, I love this. How many times do you with your friends shout out the names of somewhat obscure players to “Hall of the Very Good” types, and reminisce? Now Brewers fans can do that for the guys who were outsized players in their memories if not in their accomplishments.

As reported by Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel the requirements for entrance are quite simple:

Individuals will qualify for the Wall of Honor by meeting any of the following criteria:

*2,000 or more plate appearances

*1,000 or more innings pitched

*250 appearances as a pitcher

*Winner of a major award (MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year, or Fireman of the Year)

*Manager of a pennant-winning team

*Individuals memorialized with statues on the Miller Park Plaza

*Members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame who played for or managed the Brewers

I wonder what this would look like for the Oakland A’s? I imagine quite a few cool names. So let’s change a few things. As much as I want to honor Oakland A’s HOFers who played for the Brewers (Rollie Fingers we are looking at you!) we’ll change any Brewer specific mention to an Oakland A’s one. Here goes the 76 A’s who make it to the Oakland “Brewers Wall of Honor”:

Catchers: Mike Heath, Ramon Hernandez, Jeff Newman, Terry Steinbach, Kurt Suzuki, Gene Tenace.

First basemen: Tony Armas, Daric Barton, Jason Giambi, Scott Hatteberg, Mark McGwire.

Second basemen: Mark Ellis, Mike Gallego, Dick Green, Joe Morgan, Tony Phillips.

Shortstops: Mike Bordick, Bert Campaneris, Bobby Crosby, Miguel Tejada, Walt Weiss.

Third basemen: Sal Bando, Scott Brosius, Eric Chavez, Wayne Gross, Carney Lansford.

Outfielders: Jose Canseco, Coco Crisp, Mike Davis, Ben Grieve, Dave Henderson, Rickey Henderson, Reggie Jackson, Stan Javier, Mark Kotsay, Terrence Long, Dwayne Murphy, Billy North, Joe Rudi.

Designated hitters: Orlando Cepeda, Jack Cust, Willie McCovey, Mitchell Page, Matt Stairs.

Pitchers: Andrew Bailey, Jerry Blevins, Vida Blue, Chad Bradford, Dennis Eckersley, Rollie Fingers, Keith Foulke, Buddy Groom, Ken Holtzman, Rick Honeycutt, Tim Hudson, Catfish Hunter, Matt Keough, Billy Koch, Rick Langford, Paul Lindblad, Steve McCatty, Mike Mohler, Mark Mulder, Gene Nelson, Mike Norris, Blue Moon Odom, Dave Stewart, Huston Street, Don Sutton, Billy Taylor, Bob Welch, Curt Young, Barry Zito.

Managers: Al Dark, Tony LaRussa, Dick Williams.

7 Comments leave one →
  1. December 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Needs a stricter criterion.

• December 20, 2013 1:38 pm

I like their idea. A lot of these guys should be honored with a wall. I imagine it is a lot like what they have at the entrance to Coors Field, these small plaques that honor moments in the club’s history. They don’t take up much space etc. I’d have to see how Milwaukee is doing it but really aside from Cepeda and McCovey I wouldn’t have serious qualms with anyone on the list. It is honoring contributions and being there sort of more than performing at an elite level.

2. Kasper permalink
    December 20, 2013 2:40 am

Could you imagine Daric Barton in any type of Hall of fame ? scary. Mark Ellis, yes.

• December 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Ha! True. I knew he was one that would elicit some responses. That said, there are some cheaper ones. Orlando Cepeda and Willie McCovey get in on their HOF status, but Cepeda had a big bad THREE plate appearances for the A’s. THREE.

3. Kasper permalink
    December 20, 2013 2:42 am

btw, I wish the A’s spent money and signed Ellis this off season. Our options at second are really weak.

• December 20, 2013 1:39 pm

I don’t know if Ellis is where I’d stick my money. As much as I love him, I think I am happier with Punto/Callaspo. I’d have liked to have found someone just solid offensively who could be circulated through the DH role. I’m worried that Barton sticks around and that DH/1B guy is Moss.

Trackbacks

1. The Top 2%: An Oakland A’s Hall of Fame | The Todd Van Poppel Rookie Card Retirement Plan