Update from PHX: March 23/Recap: A’s @ Giants Game 26
March 23, 2013
- The A’s played their cross-bay rival Giants today in Scottsdale and won 12-5.
- Josh Reddick is not in today’s lineup due to the ankle he injured yesterday. Good news is he feels it is good to go, even manager Bob Melvin downplayed it yesterday and Reddick himself anticipates being back in the lineup on Monday. Reddick also added that this is a spring training precautionary measure more than anything and that had this been a regular season game it’d be taped and he’d be playing.
- Hiroyuki Nakajima played in today’s MiLB game and started at second base, getting a home run. Apparently we aren’t to read too much into this as Melvin said he wants all his infielders to have a degree of versatility with other positions on the diamond. I have to think that Melvin is getting a bit worried about the infield situation excepting perhaps Jed Lowrie (and maybe no one else).
- Another Melvin note, he was talking that Billy Beane is always looking at upgrading. Within that prism of thought, a platoon at first base could be just what today’s Nate Freiman waiver claim is.
- The A’s put forth this lineup against the Giants: Coco Crisp CF, John Jaso C, Lowrie SS, Yoenis Cespedes LF, Seth Smith RF, Josh Donaldson 3B, Daric Barton 1B, Eric Sogard 2B. Sogard continued his torrid spring going 3-for-3 with a home run to raise his spring average to .538. I wonder if this could help him win the second base job? I really hope not as I just don’t see the upside there with Sogard. Tommy Milone got the start he went five and a third allowing three earned runs, on six hits (including a home run), a walk and four strikeouts. Ryan Cook, Sean Doolittle, Jordan Norberto and Evan Scribner all pitched in this one as well.