Update from PHX: March 21/Recap: A’s @ Reds Game 24
March 21, 2013
- The A’s took on the Reds today in Goodyear and edged them 10-9.
- The season has not yet begun but one Athletic already has won an award – albeit a dubious one – as Jayson Stark of ESPN named Michael Taylor‘s throwing away gum and cutting his pinkie on a light injury this Spring Training’s strangest.
- Today the Sacramento River Cats announced that they will fine any media that misspells their name RiverCats or Rivercats or anything like that $1 with the funds going to charity. The Todd Van Poppel Rookie Card Retirement Plan is in the clear!
- Final decisions are still to be made. Bob Melvin reported that some roster decisions could come down to last three games of the spring when the A’s and Giants square off up north.
- Speaking of the A’s and Giants they are tangling for a minor league game which will feature Yoenis Cespedes, Brandon Moss and Hiroyuki Nakajima for the A’s.
- The A’s lineup was: Eric Sogard DH, Jed Lowrie SS, Josh Reddick RF, Seth Smith LF, Chris Young CF, Derek Norris C, Daric Barton 1B, Josh Donaldson 3B, Jemile Weeks 2B. Norris hit his fourth homer of the spring coming off of Johnny Cueto. Brett Anderson got the start and Mike Ekstrom, Grant Balfour and Travis Blackley all pitched. Anderson didn’t look good: four and two-thirds innings of six earned run, eight hit (two home runs), and two walk, five K baseball. His spring ERA is now up to 9.45. But Anderson said he felt good and was working on stuff so I share his lack of concern. Balfour making his Cactus League debut looked good with a 1-2-3 inning featuring just nine pitches.