Update from PHX: March 19/Recap: A’s @ Dodgers Game 23
March 19, 2013
- A’s crossed town to go to Camelback Ranch where they fell to the Dodgers 7-1.
- The World Baseball Classic ended today with the Dominican Republic as champions. The only Athletic to participate was Arnold Leon for Mexico, but Billy Beane told Jim Bowden of ESPN that to better prepare for an American win they should be assembling the 2017 edition. Wonder if he will be involved?
- Hiroyuki Nakajima has a lot to work on as he is not hitting and his fielding has been suspect. That said he also is getting additional work learning second and third base too. Could this mean Jed Lowrie has secured a starting shortstop position? I would not mind seeing Nakajima who has looked pretty bad, get some time at Sacramento to adjust to American baseball, I just don’t see that happening.
- Grant Balfour will make his Cactus League debut Thursday against Cincinnati.
- Lineup today against the Los Angeles Dodgers: Coco Crisp CF, Scott Sizemore DH, Chris Young RF, Yoenis Cespedes LF, Brandon Moss 1B, Josh Donaldson 3B, Adam Rosales 2B, John Jaso C, Nakajima SS. Cespedes hit his second home run of the spring and also threw out prospect Yasiel Puig who lined a hit off of Cespedes’ glove only to be cut down trying to get to second. On the mound the A’s trotted out Dan Straily who surrendered back to back homers to the aforementioned Puig and Jerry Hairston, Jr. on consecutive pitches. Interesting the differing reports on Straily’s outing. From Straily: “I feel like today was not that bad at all. I felt a big confidence build. I went out there and felt convicted by every pitch, even the back-to-back home runs. I hung a pitch, and that’s what guys do with those pitches. For me to go out there and make two mistakes, it felt like a pretty successful day for me. To throw up three zeros after that, no complaints here.” But manager Bob Melvin had a different take: “You know, I’m getting tired of saying, ‘Yeah, he recovered well and didn’t give up anything after the first’. He had two outs and nobody on, and he walks a guy on four pitches. You can’t do that. You’ve got to finish the inning.” Ouch. Don’t think Straily is long for the 25-man roster once Bartolo Colon is activated. Jordan Norberto, Evan Scribner and Jerry Blevins also saw action in this contest.