Update from PHX: March 18/Recap: Mariners @ A’s Game 22
March 18, 2013
- The A’s fell to the Mariners 6-5 at Phoenix Muni today.
- The A’s released Garrett Olson so he could pursue an opportunity in Korea. We learned that that opportunity was with the Doosan Bears who last season finished third with a 68-62 record last winning the Korea Series in 2001.
- In today’s MiLB game the starting pitcher was Grant Balfour. Balfour was slated to pitch one inning today and he was not happy with his 17 pitches, two runs allowed on two hits, with a K and no walks. He wasn’t happy though less because of the performance but rather the setting saying, “It didn’t really do me much going over there. I need the adrenaline. That’s fine. I need to get the first one out of the way.” Bob Melvin said he will see action in five Cactus League games. I presume that this means he may not miss a beat at all and will be ready come opening day.
- Melvin also talked about the recently optioned Grant Green, “I think he’s made terrific progress from what we saw last year, especially for a guy that’s had to play multiple positions and get moved around. He didn’t allow it to affect his at-bats. It was a really good showing for him this spring, and I think he’s got the chance to get comfortable and be a real good second baseman.” This leads me to believe the race has already been decided with Scott Sizemore being the guy. Sizemore has had an awful spring but still has the job, whereas Green put up solid numbers and here we are talking about him possibly being a second baseman. Sizemore is out of options so his inclusion on the MLB squad was really a foregone conclusion. I really wish there were true competitions.
- A’s lineup against Seattle: Coco Crisp CF, Sizemore 2B, Josh Reddick RF, Seth Smith LF, Jed Lowrie 3B, Derek Norris C, Jemile Weeks DH, Daric Barton 1B, Adam Rosales SS. A.J. Griffin got the start for the green and gold with Ryan Cook, Pedro Figueroa, Pat Neshek and Carlos Hernandez seeing action as well. Norris homered in this one and also doubled as part of a 2-for-3 day. Crisp made what sounds like a pretty incredible home run robbing catch of Jesus Montero today. That wall at Phoenix Muni isn’t tiny so it must’ve been quite impressive.