Update from PHX: March 16/Recaps: Angels @ A’s and A’s @ White Sox Game 20
March 16, 2013
- A’s played two today with split-squad action. They played to a 13-13 tie with the Halos in Phoenix while they fell to the White Sox 11-5 over in Glendale.
- The A’s released Garrett Olson today. It wasn’t for his performance as Olson, signed on a MiLB deal threw five innings this spring with a 3.60 ERA and four hits, two earned runs with a walk and four strikeouts and was released so that he could pursue an opportunity to pitch in South Korea. Best of luck to him, he was not going to make this squad in all likelihood and would’ve served as filler with the River Cats.
- Brett Anderson threw in a MiLB game today. Sort of crazy to think there are three games involving A’s major leaguers today. I guess these games happen all the time but we just don’t hear of them. Anderson struggled with his control in the outing, going five innings with four walks, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out three on his 62 pitches.
- At the Phoenix Muni the A’s threw out their A-squad against the Angels: Coco Crisp CF, Jed Lowrie 2B, Josh Reddick RF, Yoenis Cespedes LF, Brandon Moss 1B, Seth Smith DH, Eric Sogard 3B, Luke Montz C and Andy Parrino SS. (Okay, maybe it was A-squadish) The starter in Phoenix was Travis Blackley with Evan Scribner, Jerry Blevins, James Simmons (who?), Thomas Walz (who?) and Carlos Fisher (who?) pitching. The A’s bats were hot in this one as one can expect when thirteen runs are laid down with Reddick, Montz and Cespedes taking Jered Weaver deep (it was their third, first and first home runs respectively on the Cactus League).
- In Glendale against the Pale Hose the A’s lineup was: Jemile Weeks DH, Scott Sizemore 2B, Chris Young CF, Josh Donaldson 3B, Derek Norris C, Michael Choice LF, Hiroyuki Nakajima SS, Daric Barton 1B, Michael Taylor RF. The A’s threw Jarrod Parker who had another rough outing going three innings of nine hit, seven run (five earned), two walk and three strikeout baseball. Not what you’d like to see. Chris Resop, Brian Gordon, Cristhian Perez (who?) and Paul Smyth (who?) finished off the game. Offensively for the A’s in this one Donaldson had a home run that came off White Sox Opening Day starter Chris Sale.
- Overall the A’s pitching on the day: 17 innings, 24 runs (20 earned) on 35 hits though no home runs while walking seven and striking out 14. Yikes.