Update from PHX: March 15/Recap: A’s @ Diamondbacks Game 19
March 15, 2013
- The A’s played the A’s of yesteryear (the Arizona Diamondbacks) with Brandon McCarthy taking the mound for the opposition at Salt River Fields today where they played to a 2-2 tie, ah the joys of Spring Training.
- Rickey Henderson and Dave Stewart were in camp today. They know a thing or two about winning.
- Fernando Rodriguez seems poised to have Tommy John surgery, but will not be going under the knife just yet as he will have a second opinion on his elbow problem on March 26th with Astros team physician Dr. Thomas Mehlhoff.
- Grant Balfour will make his Cactus League debut on Monday. He through live BP today and apparently was cussing between pitches he didn’t like. Love this guy’s fire, you just have to. Hiroyuki Nakajima gave him a thumbs up saying, ”After seeing him pitch, I’m now skeptical he even had surgery.” Nakajima may not have impressed thus far with the bat, or with the glove, or with any of the normal things one cares about in a baseball player, but that said he seems like a good interview.
- A’s roster to face their former teammate: Coco Crisp CF, Jemile Weeks 2B, Jed Lowrie SS, Yoenis Cespedes DH, Josh Reddick RF, Seth Smith LF, John Jaso C, Daric Barton 1B, Adam Rosales 3B. I still hate seeing Crisp and Weeks hitting so early in the lineup, even if the games don’t count for anything.
- Bartolo Colon got the start. He hasn’t been hit hard this spring with eleven innings pitched and twenty-two hits allowed resulting in nine earned runs. He is a soft-tosser which makes me think he is more vulnerable to giving up hits and the A’s infield isn’t as strong defensively as they have been in past years. On the flip side, a good sign is that he has just one walk to thirteen K’s on the spring. Bob Melvin says he is unconcerned, I’ll defer to him. Other pitchers who took the field today, Jordan Norberto, Ryan Cook, Pat Neshek and Garrett Olson.