Update from PHX: March 14/Recap: Rangers @ A’s Game 18
March 14, 2013
- A’s and Rangers tangled today at Phoenix Muni with Oakland falling to their division foes 6-2.
- The A’s signed infielder Antonio Lamas to a MiLB deal today. The 23 year old Mexican national, is a middle infielder and has spent the last five seasons playing with the Aceroros de Monclova of the Mexican League posting a .307/.350/.437 slash line with 24 home runs in 1,504 plate appearances. Last season he saw a breakout year in terms of power with a career best (for all three categories) .336/.383/.523 with 15 home runs in 504 plate appearances. Not sure where he ends up, we shall see.
- Brett Anderson‘s neck injury is not serious as he will be pitching this Saturday in an MiLB game as per Jane Lee of MLB.com. Good to see that Anderson will be back as the injury concern with him is always elevated.
- A’s lineup against the Rangers today was: Chris Young CF, Seth Smith DH, Josh Reddick RF, Yoenis Cespedes LF, Brandon Moss 1B, Josh Donaldson 3B, Hiroyuki Nakajima SS, Derek Norris C, Scott Sizemore 2B.
- The A’s middle infield issue still looks muddled. Nakajima got plunked on the hand and looked terrible defensively but stayed in this one. After the game he admitted, “I’m definitely not at the comfort level I was in Japan”. Meanwhile, Sizemore twice left the bases full to end an inning in this one. He has really struggled is not making his case any better with this outing. With Fernando Rodriguez seemingly set to hit the 60-day disabled list at any moment now, I wonder if someone like an Andy Parrino could somehow break through with this club?
- Dan Straily got the start in this one, he was unhappy with his command today. He went three innings allowing three hits and a walk for a total of four runs, two of them earned. He also struck out three before being replaced by Mike Ekstrom. The non-roster invitee is making a strong bid to make this club and pitched two perfect innings in this one. Sean Doolittle, Hideki Okajima and Pedro Figueroa finished out this one.