Update from PHX: March 11/Recap: A’s @ Padres Game 16
March 11, 2013
- A’s got pasted by the Pads falling 10-0 in Peoria.
- Arnold Leon, who was someone I thought might breakout and be a surprise A’s rookie. Will not be a breakout surprise rookie, however he did as we know breakout and start a fight between two-thirds of NAFTA in the Mexico-Canada game at the WBC. Leon plunked Rene Tosoni of Canada and a huge brawl erupted. The Canadians were running up the score as run differential is a tiebreaker, but Leon and the Mexican squad took exception. It took Leon three times to plunk Tosoni, which was sort of weak, but nonetheless the elimination of both teams from the tournament meant no punishments were meted out, and there won’t be any residual punishments come 2017. That said, the news around Leon today was that he was optioned to Triple-A Sacramento.
- The A’s lineup in Peoria today was Chris Young CF, John Jaso DH, Josh Reddick RF, Brandon Moss 1B, Seth Smith LF, Josh Donaldson 3B, Hiroyuki Nakajima SS, Derek Norris C, Andy Parrino 2B. Jarrod Parker got the start with Travis Blackley, Fernando Rodriguez, Brian Gordon and Garrett Olson getting work.
- The pitchers expected to be a part of the MLB club today did not fare well. Parker looked pretty bad surrendering two home runs (including one to former Athletic Travis Buck) and going just four innings with six hits, five earned runs, no walks and just two K’s on 56 pitches with 40 of them strikes. Blackley didn’t provide much relief, going an inning and a third of five hit (one home run), four earned runs with a walk and two K’s baseball. Meanwhile, Rodriguez left today’s game with an injury deemed “right elbow tightness”.
- Shane Peterson got another hit about the lone offensive highlight for the A’s. He has played in all the A’s games this spring and is now an astounding 16-for-33. Could the Matt Holliday trade pay off?
- Michael Taylor is back and swinging a bat following his pinkie injury. Can there be any more emasculating injury that being sidelined with pinkie problems?
- Jemile Weeks is scheduled to play five innings in an MiLB game today.