Update from PHX: March 10/Recap: Diamondbacks @ A’s Game 15
March 10, 2013
- A’s won 7-5 against the Arizona Diamondbacks (or A’s of yesteryear).
- The A’s shipped off some guys to MiLB camp today. Miles Head, Jefry Marte, Kyler Newby, Ryan Ortiz, Addison Russell and Beau Taylor were sent to MiLB camp. Specifically it was reported that Jesse Chavez was optioned to Sacramento (the sacred cow, who could never ever be removed from the 40-man roster is being sent to Sacramento!) Andrew Werner will join him there. Michael Ynoa also was optioned with him finding himself sent to the wilds of Wisconsin with Single-A Beloit.
- Michael Taylor‘s absence is explained. He apparently sliced open his right pinkie throwing out his chewing gum and somehow striking it against a light. Well now, that’s a way to do it.
- Arnold Leon who while pitching for Mexico plunked Canada’s Rene Tosoni yesterday (though it too a painful three attempts). Had this to say on Twitter, “Gracias Mexico por su apoyo! Beisbol en cualquier parte del mundo es igual! Respeto contra el rival debemos de tener no importa el marcador!” Which seems to translate to: “Mexico, thanks for your support! Baseball anywhere in the world is the same! We must have respect for the foe no matter the score!” Pretty hardcore. His plunking of Tosoni, sparked a bench-clearing brawl as the Canadians were trying to run up the score – run differential is a World Baseball Classic tiebreaker.
- A’s lineup against Arizona: Coco Crisp CF, Jed Lowrie 2B, Josh Reddick RF, Josh Donaldson 3B, Scott Sizemore DH, John Jaso C, Hiroyuki Nakajima SS, Michael Choice LF, Daric Barton 1B. Brett Anderson got the start, with Mike Ekstrom, Sean Doolittle, Bartolo Colon, Pedro Figueroa and Hideki Okajima seeing some action too.
- On offense the superstar for the A’s was new acquistion Lowrie who went 2-for-3 with a diner and drove in three. Lowrie’s homer was a two-run shot and then he drove in another with a double in the fifth.
- Anderson left the game eight pitches in after colliding with Adam Eaton of San Diego covering third base. It appears as if he has a strained right trapezius (neck). It doesn’t seem to be a huge concern however at this point which is very big news for the A’s.