Update from PHX: February 25/Recap: Indians @ A’s ST Game 3
February 25, 2013
- The 5-0 Cleveland Indians won 14-10 on an offense filled day at Phoenix Muni.
- Chris Young is fine from the quad cramp that caused him to be replaced by Michael Taylor in yesterday’s game. The A’s expect that he will be ready to go on Wednesday. Grant Balfour too is looking to be recovering quickly and manager Bob Melvin reported that he tried to sneak into a drill earlier in the day.
- Lineup to face the Tribe today was: Coco Crisp CF, Jed Lowrie 2B, Josh Reddick RF, Yoenis Cespedes DH, Brandon Moss 1B, Hiroyuki Nakajima SS, John Jaso C, Josh Donaldson 3B and Taylor LF. The A’s pitchers tossing in this contest were: Andrew Werner, Evan Scribner, Hideki Okajima, Sonny Gray, Jordan Norberto, Carlos Fisher, Drew Granier and Carlos Hernandez. I have never heard of those last three pitchers. Okajima and Hernandez were the only pitchers to emerge from their outings unscathed, Norberto meanwhile was who got beat up the most going two-thirds of an inning allowing three hits (including a Yan Gomes homer) and three earned runs along with a walk. Ugly.
- Former Athletic Matt Carson hit a two-run homer off of Gray, while Shane Peterson and Michael Choice added two-run home runs to the A’s run tally, the first home runs of the A’s Cactus League schedule.
- Andy Parrino, showing off some versatility by finishing the game in left field, had a good game going 2-for-3 with two doubles. I just don’t see any way that he makes this squad barring a series of serious injury mishaps.