Update from PHX: February 24/Recap: A’s @ Angels ST Game 2
February 24, 2013
- A’s skip past the Angels 7-5 in Tempe.
- A’s lineup for today was: Coco Crisp CF, Chris Young RF, Seth Smith DH, Yoenis Cespedes LF, Jed Lowrie SS, Scott Sizemore 2B, Daric Barton 1B, Derek Norris C, Adam Rosales 3B. Interesting lineup but again it’ll be more interesting to see what happens later in the spring when we are seeing lineups that actually might translate into what happens when the season begins. That said Bob Melvin did say that he wants to keep Crisp leading off and Cespedes hitting cleanup. On the pitching side of things, the A’s had all their scheduled pitchers pitch: Travis Blackley, Brian Gordon, Pedro Figueroa, Chris Resop, Pat Neshek, Kyler Newby along with two unscheduled: Blake Hassebrock and James Simmons. Blackley balked when he got blown off the mound in this windy affair but the umps didn’t call it.
- Young was taken out of the game with a quad strain. He made a leaping catch and also went 1-for-1 with a double and an RBI.
- Lowrie had only played spring training previously in Florida in Fort Myers with the Red Sox and Kissimmee with the Astros but welcome to the high sky of Arizona as he had a three base error on a Vernon Wells pop up.
- First round picks Addison Russell and Michael Choice looked good in this one. Both doubled with Russell going 1-for-2 and Choice going 2-for-2.
- Luke Montz, 0-for-1 with a walk, is the third catcher on the depth chart for the A’s. Melvin reiterated this, though it has been known before. I am a little surprised by this just because I figured it would be Josh Donaldson not Montz, a guy off the 40-man roster, especially when the A’s bailed on George Kottaras.