Update from PHX: February 23/Recap: A’s @ Brewers ST Game 1
February 23, 2013
- The A’s were 2-1 losers to the Brewers today in Maryvale.
- One should not look too much into lineups as they sort of (completely) mean nothing in the spring. That said, this was the A’s starting lineup today: Jemile Weeks 2B, Hiroyuki Nakajima SS, Josh Reddick RF, Brandon Moss 1B, Seth Smith LF, Chris Young CF, John Jaso C, Josh Donaldson 3B, Scott Sizemore DH. Interesting that Nakajima is hitting second, I can see him finding a home there once the season starts given how he profiles, but really weird having Sizemore bat ninth and I am not enamored with Weeks in the leadoff spot either.
- Rickie Weeks said of his brother Jemile that he is an “All-Star” at second base. Not quite sure I agree with that assessment, but he did go 1-for-3 with an apparent good defensive play and a double in this contest. Putting his best foot forward in the race for second base.
- Ryan Braun launched a home run off of Jesse Chavez. Justin Thomas meanwhile walked four in just an inning and a third and one of those runs came around to score with Fernando Rodriguez on the mound to secure the A’s loss.
- A’s had some chances against the Brewers. Young struck out to end the inning with the bases juiced in the first and with two on in the seventh Grant Green struck out to end that inning as well. The A’s lone run came in the top of the seventh when Shane Peterson led off with a double and was singled home by Michael Choice the next hitter.
- Eric Sogard had missed some time following the death of his grandmother but returned to A’s camp today. He sort of is the forgotten man in the infield mix this year. I think Adam Rosales, who is out of options, has sewn up that reserve spot so my bet is that Sogie is headed for Sacramento.