Update from PHX: February 16
February 16, 2013
- Scott Sizemore is a new father as his wife Brooke gave birth to a baby girl. Congrats to him!
- Jed Lowrie and Seth Smith arrived at camp today. Lowrie feels he is a shortstop first and can play other positions, contrary to the super-utility role he seems slated for. That said, he also said that any player wants to play just one position. Smith is set to be designated hitter and share outfield duties but also will be trying out some time at first base to help out the club. Also it was announced by Bob Melvin today that for the A’s cluttered outfield, the outfielder who will be moving around will be Chris Young. Yoenis Cespedes, Coco Crisp and Josh Reddick will man left, center and right field respectively. Young is reported to be a good fielder and the numbers seem to support it, so hopefully that is an adjustment he can make fairly seamlessly. Still think his bat is more important to the lineup than that of Crisp but the spring is long.
- Despite being given the starting shortstop role Hiroyuki Nakajima is allegedly happy to play anywhere. Wish we could have an open competition and really push everyone to have the best left side of the infield, but so far the reports on Nakajima are strong and my concerns are perhaps unwarranted.
- Along with Smith and Michael Taylor another outfielder getting reps at first base today was Shane Peterson who came over in the trade that sent Matt Holliday to St. Louis. Melvin however said he feels that Brandon Moss could be an everyday first baseman as opposed to the platoon he did last season.
- Melvin spoke about infield versatility and specifically mentioned the out of options Adam Rosales. It seems his roster spot is set. Can’t say I am crazy about that as to me he offers little other than versatility but hopefully he can hit some dingers and we can see him trot around the bases in the fastest times ever recorded. Speaking of the infield, Sizemore will play most of his time at second base, meaning it seems still that Jemile Weeks could find himself going from franchise future to franchise forgotten if his spring doesn’t go well.
- Jefry Marte apparently looks like Cespedes. Must be a pretty good sized guy.