Update from PHX: February 13
February 13, 2013
- Yesterday the A’s announced their lone WBC contestant would not be participating but apparently Travis Blackley considered pitching for Australia but was concerned about being away from the A’s and losing a roster spot.
- Josh Reddick had his number retired by his high school alma mater today.
- Bob Melvin was pleased with what he saw from Hiroyuki Nakajima in the batting cage today. That adds on to the compliments he received from Mike Gallego regarding his fielding a few days ago. He has been with the club about 12 days now working out so he was an early arrival.
- Melvin also commented that he can’t recall ever having this much bullpen depth and said the club is being cautious with Jordan Norberto “because he is so important”. Don’t know that I am a fan of that description as I think Norberto is sort of expendable especially with the addition of Hideki Okajima but it’ll be interesting to see if the A’s go with three lefties in the pen – a number I think is one too many myself.
- Melvin said he believes Jarrod Parker has the potential to be a top of the line pitcher, an assessment I full agree with.