Skip to content

Adrian Cardenas Designated for Assignment

January 26, 2012

Today the A’s made the Jonny Gomes signing official, the Casa Grande High School alum from Petaluma will earn $1.1M with $200K in incentives available for him to earn. With the A’s roster full Gomes’ addition meant someone had to be let loose and that person is none other than infielder/outfielder Adrian Cardenas.

Cardenas disappointed in his time with the A’s. A former first round draft pick of the Phillies in 2006 he came to the A’s along with Josh Outman in the trade that sent Joe Blanton Philadelphia-bound. A formerly well-regarded prospect, Cardenas spent all of 2011 in Sacramento, posting a good .314/.374/.418 slash line with an OK .356 wOBA and 100 wRC+. while playing second and third base, shortstop and left field. While there was some thought that he could be given a sort of utility man role that likelihood diminished greatly with the re-upping of Adam Rosales.

While Cardenas didn’t seem like a bad option to DFA, his value does seem very limited in a practical sense to the A’s and where they need to go, he still seemed more valuable than other DFA candidates like Sean Doolittle who I have felt would be the first DFA’d for over a year now. What the organization sees in Doolittle at this point is beyond me. Also other perennial DFA candidate Pedro Figueroa seems like a strange choice of player to keep on the roster when other more useful pieces seemingly have been let go (both for the big league squad and for just depth at Sacramento). Melissa Lockard of Scout.com tweets of the move,

“I did not see the A’s designating Adrian Cardenas. He didn’t have a home position-wise in Oakland, but he’s got some value. I sense a trade.”

I don’t know that I necessarily agree with his having trade value. I would not be surprised if he were able to clear waivers and be outrighted to Sacramento despite his former first-round pick history. The A’s have 10 days to make a decision regarding Cardenas.

About these ads
7 Comments leave one →
  1. peter mascari permalink
    January 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Why is Adam Rosales even considered 40 man roster talent??!! It’s shocking that he’s still even considered any option at all.

He’s terrible at being a major league baseball player..

Sorry, I had to vent,

peter

dallas, tx.

• January 26, 2012 5:11 pm

I don’t mind him as a “has pulse/can play multiple positions” player. But I would’ve been fine with the A’s non-tendering him and am really kind of surprised that they didn’t.

2. Drew W permalink
    January 26, 2012 5:40 pm

I guess now that Doolittle is in the bullpen he might have marginally more potential to help than Cardenas, but even if they lose Cardenas I doubt it will come back to bite them. If Rosales and/or Sogard can’t handle the backup duties I’m sure another utility guy will be found, somewhere.

• January 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Absolutely agree with you. I just clearly have a disagreement as to who is the least valuable player on our 40-man roster. Again, arguing who is worst isn’t so significant if so buried on the depth chart.

3. Hungary4A'sNews permalink
    January 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Just had to note..HUGE Props for QUICK and thorough insight on this… thanks for jumping on this ..sometimes these moves are happening so quickly and (randomly ?) that I almost don’t have time to research it before .. it’s on to another move…

Plus I am starting to visualize a lot of quizzical commentors’ faces when I read what they write here! Kool replys!

what is next…package trade thoughts?

• January 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Thank you! I’m fortunate to be able to quickly analyze things.

I don’t know what is next… everything really is very surprising this month. Anything could happen?

4. Hungary4A'sNews permalink
    January 26, 2012 7:19 pm

oops also…
    history buffs.. IRONY?

Someone should let Mr. Beane know it MAY NOT be a good idea to have a guy named DOOLITTLE on the roster when on a MLB Promoting tour around Tokyo, Japan!